The the tip of the peninsula upon which Vittoriosa’s Fort St. Angelo has been built has historically always been a significant site. Once a place of worship housing the temple of the goddess Astarte, when the Order of St. John arrived on the island, it became the seat of the Grand Master and subsequently their primary fortification. Fort St. Angelo withstood the attempted invasion by the Turks in 1565, and when the British colonised the island, it was used as a base by the Royal Navy.
On July 19, to mark the fortieth anniversary since the departure of foreign military forces from Malta on 31 March 1979, Heritage Malta is organising a one-of-a-kind harbour cruise. It will focus on the various former Royal Navy establishments and facilities spread around the Grand Harbour and Marsamxett Harbour, covering docks, hospitals, fortifications, supply facilities and other structures in use until 1979. After the exhibition and a light refreshment, attendees may visit the Behind Closed Doors exhibition.
Meeting point at the quay below Fort St Angelo at 18:30.
Tickets at €20 Adults, €15 Seniors, Students, Children and HM members. Tickets can be purchased from all Heritage Malta museums & sites or https://shop.heritagemalta.org/index.asp?eventid=594
Ticket price includes the harbour cruise, a glass of wine and access to the exhibition. Light snacks will be available for sale.
The exhibition catalogue will be for sale from the shop at a reduced price. The exhibition’s merchandise, and other Heritage Malta merchandise, will also be available for sale.
The Fort will close at 22:30